Thursday, April 12, 2018

Happy Birthday, Beverly Cleary!


Children's author Beverly Cleary turns 102 years old today!

Children's author Beverly Clear reading a Ramona Quimby book.

She's one of my all-time favorite writers. I doubt I would have become a children's book writer myself if I hadn't found the shelf of hers in my hometown library and systematically read and reread them all. 

I was always more of a Henry Huggins and Ribsy guy than a Ramona and Beezus Quimby fan, but that didn't stop me from following all their adventures, too. I also loved many of her other characters, like Ellen Tebbits and Otis Spofford, Ralph S. Mouse, Socks the Cat, and Leigh Botts from Dear Mr. Henshaw. 

There's a wonderful realism in her heartfelt books that never feels less than dramatic, even when it's terrifically funny.

I've created a whole shrine to Beverly Cleary here, on my main website. There I give a short bio of her amazing writer's life, relate my personal connections to her work, and discuss her many books in a comprehensive list.

Young Beverly Cleary writing in pencil with her cat on the desk.
If you're a Beverly Cleary fan, know you've found a kindred spirit. If you've never read her work . . . well, what are you waiting for? It's delicious for adults, too. 


XO
J. E.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Purrfect Review of Bernie's Best Jokes at Basil's Blog!

I'm delighted that the beautiful Amber kitty over at the catriffic Basil's Blog gave us a warm and fuzzy review of Bernie's Bes...